Meatless Monday doesn’t mean you have to give up eating meat, but rather use Monday as a day to increase your intake of plant-based foods like fruits & vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds. It’s a reminder to be mindful of the food you eat and the choices you make. Once a week, we give you an opportunity to get your daily nutrients and try a new food!
Latest #MeatlessMonday Recipes & Resources
For Your Health
- Adding more plant-based foods into your diet can add years onto your life
- Meals rich is fruit, vegetables or legumes contain natural antioxidants that benefit cardio-health
- Nuts are one of the richest sources of protein and can help to improve concentration
- Most Americans eat more than 1.5 times their suggested meat serving every day, making a plant-based substitution can help to maintain a lower body weight
For the Planet
- Global livestock production creates more greenhouse gases than all of the planes, trains, and cars on earth
- Livestock production uses more than 75% of the world’s agricultural land
- The energy it takes for a quarter-pound of beef to be produced is equivalent to that of your smartphone being charged for 6 months
- It takes 425 gallons of water for one quarter-pound burger to be produced which is the equivalent of 1,700 people’s water intake for one day
- The emissions produced from one quarter-pound burger is equivalent to the number of emissions released after driving 348 miles in a car
We will highlight the Meatless Monday meal in all of the dining halls and cafes. Look for this sticker at the serving stations throughout campus!
Check out our plant based partners page to find out who in our community is going meatless!
Want to learn more? Check out some benefits for going Meatless.