Meatless Monday doesn’t mean you have to give up eating meat, but rather use Monday as a day to increase your intake of plant-based foods like fruits & vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds. It’s a reminder to be mindful of the food you eat and the choices you make. Once a week, we give you an opportunity to get your daily nutrients and try a new food!
- Monday has a special significance in our culture that symbolizes a day to restart or reset at the beginning of each week
- There’s a surge in healthy contemplations and actions on Monday
- Engaging in healthy behaviors on Monday helps people to sustain these habits for the duration of the week
- Monday provides a social context for change because people are together as they go back to work or school
- Taking small steps that build over time can help to build long-lasting habits
For Your Health
- Adding more plant-based foods into your diet can add years onto your life
- Meals rich is fruit, vegetables or legumes contain natural antioxidants that benefit cardio-health
- Nuts are one of the richest sources of protein and can help to improve concentration
- Most Americans eat more than 1.5 times their suggested meat serving every day, making a plant-based substitution can help to maintain a lower body weight
For the Planet
- Global livestock production creates more greenhouse gases than all of the planes, trains, and cars on earth
- Livestock production uses more than 75% of the world’s agricultural land
- The energy it takes for a quarter-pound of beef to be produced is equivalent to that of your smartphone being charged for 6 months
- It takes 425 gallons of water for one quarter-pound burger to be produced which is the equivalent of 1,700 people’s water intake for one day
- The emissions produced from one quarter-pound burger is equivalent to the number of emissions released after driving 348 miles in a car
Check out our plant based partners page to find out who in our community is going meatless!
Want to learn more? Check out some benefits for going Meatless.